Job Title: Finance & Accounting Officer
Reporting To: Executive Director & Director of Programs
Collaborates with: Entire Project Team
The Women’s Health and Equal Rights (WHER) Initiative is a non-governmental, not-for-profit organization established with the aim of promoting a deeper conceptual knowledge of sexuality, gender identity, and sexual orientation; providing access to health and other support services to sexual minority women through research, education, advocacy, empowerment and other direct services. Our goal is to advance and promote the well-being and equal rights of sexual minority women in Nigeria by addressing the health and psychosocial effects of the dual discrimination (homophobia and sexism) faced by sexual minority women and their underrepresentation in the LGBTQ and women’s movement in Nigeria.
NOTE: This job requires knowledge of and willingness to work with the LGBT community. Homophobia and Sexism will not be tolerated.
• To create, implement and maintain strong financial systems, processes and controls that ensure accurate and transparent record keeping and transaction processing.
• This role requires the individual to take responsibility for all financial operations and lead on the organization’s auditing requirements.
• This role has a strong emphasis on setting and following robust processes and controls with a commitment to integrity, transparency, learning and continuous improvement.
• You will ensure that WHER’s financial performance is correctly measured on a monthly basis and help to coach WHER staff to understand the financial life cycle of their projects from the start to conclusion.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Support the review and development of financial policies and make sure they are implemented to maintain integrity and transparency throughout the organization
• Ensure organization complies to grant conditions and internal financial policies and highlighting areas of concern when the time comes
• Take responsibility for the posting of financial transactions into the accounting software in an accurate, timely and transparent manner
• Ensure the Chart of Accounts and Project Codes structure is adhered to for recording transactions within the accounting system
• Oversee the processing of payroll and all relevant pension, taxes and other associated costs
• Monitor staff advances and send monthly report for review
• Ensure monthly controls and reconciliations are performed with petty cash and bank accounts
• Ensure that our paper filing records for accounting transactions, banking and taxes are fully documented, well structured, transparent and easily accessible
• Ensure that documentation for all accounting transactions are complete, transparent and robust
• Ensure consultants, vendors and other stakeholders are paid on time
• Maintain a fixed asset register and ensure alignment between the accounting system and inventory
• Produce and review balance sheet, income statement and other financial statement reports and send monthly summary reports highlighting issues and trends
• Conduct financial risk analysis and recommend risk management strategies.
Project Accounting, Budgeting and Financial Reporting
• Ensure fund requests, advances, payments and retirements fulfil all requirements as per grant conditions and organizations policies and ensure that payments are supported with adequate valid receipts and documentation
• Ensure that advances are retired promptly and completely
• Prepare the organization’s cash flow projections, monitor variances in actual results and highlight important issues as relevant
• Complete monthly project cash reconciliations and bring any discrepancies to a resolution in order to fully account for donor funds
• Prepare timely and accurate budget and financial reports as required
• Provide all necessary financial documents and information fundraisers to prepare funding requests including budgeting
• Be responsible for monitoring the budget utilization and communicate any issues supervisor
• Manage the day to day finances, including processing invoices and following up on recharges and payments
Financial Support and Monitoring
• Provide information and ongoing training to WHER staff to ensure the financial success of projects
• Flag any material issues and variances and propose and monitor actions.
• Respond to donor financial queries and recommend actions to the Executive Director as required
Audit and Control
• Maintain relationships with banking, tax and regulatory authorities to ensure that the organization is up-to-date
• Lead on all of the external statutory and programmatic audit processes by preparing the accounts and providing all required financial information, documentation and analysis.
• Review, propose and implement solutions for taking corrective actions for all audit recommendations and findings
• Manage the external audit and ensure audit requirements are monitored throughout the project life.
• Ensure that all financial documents are properly stored and archived for referencing and verification during internal and external audits
• To shadow and understand the work of the program staff and support/help them in their tasks when necessary.
• This role holder is expected from time to time to carry out any other duties that are within the scope of the organization including administrative functions.
Qualifications & Skills
• A University degree in accounting, finance or a related field.
• At least three years of experience in financial and accounting work, solid experience budgeting, planning and reporting on internationally funded projects.
• Experience of delivering financial transactions through strong internal processes and controls
• Experience of maintaining a control environment through following policies, processes and internal controls
• Experience in financial reporting, audit coordination and liaising with regulatory bodies (e.g. tax)
• Experience of managing funds requests, disbursements, retirements and managing cash operations
• Experience of managing an accounting system and maintaining transparent and appropriate transaction processing Ideally a track record in NGO financial accounting
• Good working knowledge of computerized accounting software packages (ideally QuickBooks) and high-level of proficiency with Excel is an added advantage
• Commitment to instilling a culture of integrity, transparency, learning and continuous improvement
• Ability to prioritize own workload and work with minimal supervision.
• Experience of working in a team and managing and developing staff
• Excellent English language skills in both writing and speaking.
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and education
Application Closing Date
Friday, 25th May, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Method of Application
Send an application letter and curriculum vitae in PDF format to email@example.com clearly state the position title for which you are applying and your full names – starting with the surname first, then other names in the subject area of the email. Example: Finance & Accounting Officer (ABUJA) – MBU, Sisi Eko. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.